William R. Dodson for thirty-six years, proprietor of The Dodson Hotel, was born in Crawford County, Arkansas, in 1839. his father Gainaim M. Dodson, was a native of Halifax County, Virginia, who in 1833 went to Kentucky, where he married Miss Nancy P. Thompson, a native of that state, and later settled in the county in which the subject of this sketch was born. Mr. Dodson was reared upon his father’s farm until 1861, when the Civil War broke out, and early in that year he entered the service of the Confederate States as a private in the Arkansas Cavalry.
Rollie Frank De Garmo, a well known rancher of this district came to California in 1894, and after finishing his education in Williams Commercial College, at Pasadena, he engaged in farming near San Gabriel, moving later onto a fifty-three acre tract near El Monte. In 1899 he moved to Long Beach, where he conducted a dairy for four years. He then returned to El Monte and engaged in the dairy business and raised alfalfa. He later installed a pumping plant for irrigation on his ranch, and for a number of years, engaged in vegetable raising, leasing extra land adjoining his
Herbert Alfred Burdick was born in Cortland, New York, February 18, 1855, the second in a family of seven children, five sons and two daughters. The father, Amos, was also born in that place, as was the grandfather, Joseph, who as a frontiersman, engaged as a hunter and trapper, and in summers, as a farmer. Amos Burdick followed his early training and became a farmer, in young manhood removing to Wisconsin, where he enlisted in Company B., Thirteenth Regiment Wisconsin Infantry, and served in the Civil War for three years and nine months. Returning to civil life, he located in
El Monte has in Lester C. Burdick, a citizen of sterling character, and a most conscientious public official – one who is worth of the high esteem in which he is held for his loyal and courageous service as head of the Police Department. His untiring work in behalf of the city during the years prior to, as well as since its incorporation are also deserving of recognition. A son of Herbert A. Burdick, and El Monte pioneer, who came from sturdy New England frontiersman stock, the subject of this sketch, inherits the courageous, self-reliant traits of his forefathers. Mr.
Settling in El Monte in 1855, Jacob M. Callan became one of the first village blacksmiths. He operated his shop on the lot later occupied by succeeding blacksmiths, J.W. Broaded, and in more recent years, H.A. Burdick, father of the present (1936) Chief of Police, Lester C. Burdick. Jacob M. Callan was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in the year 1832. His parents were of Irish and German descent. He attended the local public schools of his home and later learned the blacksmith trade. About 1850 he embarked on a sailing vessel for California making the long voyage around Cape Horn
Highly esteemed as a public benefactor, and active in the early development of El Monte, was Dr. Fredrick P. Cave, who opened the first drug store here and also built up a large practice as a physician. Dr. Cave was born in Montreal, Canada, March 26, 1853. His parents were natives of Ireland, coming to America and settling in Vermont, where they resided for many years. Dr. Cave attended the public schools of his home community, and on completing his academic education, he taught school for a number of terms near his home in Vermont. He later attended, and was
Honored and esteemed by El Monte citizens for his fine character, culture and Christian influence in the community, was Roger L. Choate, who in 1886 came to California settling in El Monte three years later, and continued to make his home through the years until the time of his death, January 10, 1937. Mr. Choate was born June 18, 1854, in Nashua, New Hampshire. His parents were Charles and Mary (Cogswell) Choate, farmers, both of whom were also natives of New Hampshire. During his early childhood, Mr. Choate’s parents moved to Derry, New Hampshire, where he received his common school
A native of California, and numbered among the prominent pioneer builders of El Monte is the name of James D. Cleminson, who is held in high esteem for the qualities of character revealed during his life in this district. Mr. Cleminson was born February 14, 1870, in San Bernardino, his parents being James and Caroline Cleminson, his father being a native of Missouri, a sketch of whom is to be found elsewhere in this work, and his mother a lady of English birth. In 1852 the father with his family came by wagon train to California, stopping first in San
James Cleminson was a representative of one of the pioneer American families of the El Monte District. He was born at Independence, Missouri, August 7, 1833, son of John and Lydia (Lightner) Cleminson. The children, who came with their parents to California in 1852, were: James, whose name heads this sketch; john Jr., Lydia and Diantha. Laura, wife of G.W. Durfee, and Mary M. wife of E.T. Mills, came a few years later. The journey of the Cleminsons was a long and tedious one. The first winter was spent at or near Harrisonville, Missouri; the next, at Tucson, Arizona. At
The Cleminson family are prominent citizens of the Los Angeles County, where the pioneer, John Cleminson established the name at an early date in the history of California, two succeeding generations serving to keep alive the records and deeds of their ancestor, who proved himself worthy to cope with the trials and hardships of a new land. The pioneer John Cleminson, Sr., was a native of England, who, in 1812, came with his father to St. John’s, New Brunswick, whence them made their way to the United States and finally located in Louisville, Kentucky. Later in Lexington, Lafayette County, Missouri,