A native son of the State, Henry F. Fryer, was born January 4, 1855 in El Monte. He was the son of Reverend R.C. and Caroline (Veazey) Fryer. The father was born in Alabama in 1821. When he was eighteen years old he made his first removal toward the west, at that time going to Conway County, Arkansas, and settling on a farm. It was about this time too, that he formed domestic ties by his marriage with Miss Caroline Veazey, the ceremony being performed in Alabama in 1839.
Thirteen years later, Mr. Fryer continued his westward journey; coming over the plains behind slow-plodding ox teams, having taken the southern route, which brought him to El Monte. It was after the removal of the family to California that Henry F. Fryer was born, his birth occurring in El Monte, January 4, 1855. Such educational advantages as the schools of that day had to offer were his, and of these he made the most, thus giving him a foundation upon which to build in later years by reading and observation. Until twenty-three years of age, he remained at home with his parents, and then started out on his own behalf by renting a ranch near El Monte. Some time later he gave this up and went to Spadra, where he was married to Miss Ella Arnett, a native of Mendocino County and a daughter of Robert S. Arnett, the latter coming of a family well known in the South.
Soon after his marriage, Mr. Fryer returned to El Monte and resumed agricultural life, renting a ranch upon which he lived for about three years. In 1882 he went to the vicinity of Pomona and took up ranching, here he remained raising apricots and walnuts until his death.
One son blessed the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Fryer, Wallace F., who married Miss Grace Bottsford, a native of Pomona.
Both Mr. and Mrs. H.F. Fryer were members of the Baptist Church. Politically, Mr. Fryer was a believer in Democratic principles, and fraternally he held membership in the Fraternal Aid.
Source: C. D. Mayon, F. Brow, L. Stoddard, and C. Mudd; El Monte from the Pioneer Days. WPA Project No. N-5740, 1936. In record 19-187072. (California Historical Landmark No. 765: El Monte). On file at the SCCIC, CSU Fullerton.