A direct descendant of Captain William Johnson, one of El Monte’s founders and prominent among the builders of the city in its later growth, is the name of Charles G. Andrew, who was born February 14, 1875 in San Bernardino. Mr. Andrew’s father was Tilghman D. Andrew, a native of Maryland, coming to California at an early date. His mother was in maidenhood, Sarah Ann James, a native of California, being born near the site of the old mill on the Huntington estate, and whose father managed and operated the mill. Her father, in 1860, moved to San Bernardino, where he operated several lumber mills. His death occurred in 1911.
Charles G. Andrew, in 1881, was six years old, was brought to El Monte, where he was educated in the public schools. On reaching his majority he engaged in farming, and in 1903, acquired and settled on 22 acres of land on South Lexington, near the Durfee ranch. Here he remained for twenty-seven years, settling the place to walnuts and otherwise improving his property.Read More