History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California Volume 2 Title Page

Biography of Samuel J. Miller of Carmel California

What extraordinary progress has been made in both the designing and building of superior houses in Monterey county is pleasantly evidenced in the broad, progressive and very enterprising operations of Samuel J. Miller, of Twelfth street, Carmel. He was born in the state of Washington, February 6, 1888, and learned the trade of a carpenter in San Francisco, where he was afterward for seven years foreman of construction for L. H. Sly, one of the leading contractors of the Bay City. He added to his experience rapidly, and during that time superintended the construction of ten large apartment houses in San Francisco, including, among others, the Louise and the Stanford Court apartments. He also carried on the same line of work in Oakland.

Coming to Carmel, Mr. Miller was foreman of construction for the contractor, M. J. Murphy and superintended the erection of the Blue Bird Tea Room in Carmel and many fine residences there, at Highlands and Pebble Beach. Since going into business for himself, he has put up about twenty residences of a highly creditable order including the Stella Gruchard residence, the three houses for Miss Mary Miller, and Katherine Cook, Miss Watrous, Miss Turner, Miss Smart and Miss Grant residences, and a studio for Ralph Miller. He has also built the Hazeltine home, the Du Ray home, and the Wallace dwelling, and he remodelled the residence of the Rev. G. M. Dorwart. All speak for themselves.

Mr. Miller married Miss Ellana Doyle, in 1917, the ceremony taking place at 047 land, and they have three daughters : Marion, Phylis and Madeline. Mr. Miller belongs to the Carpenters Union and was a delegate to the Building Trades Council. He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California’s history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top