For over fifty years a resident of El Monte, George Metcalf, a native son of California, has seen many changes in the growth and development of El Monte and vicinity. Mr. Metcalf was born in San Jose, March 24, 1877. He is the son of Martin Metcalf, and early pioneer of California in 186, locating first in the mining district of Plumas County. In 1869, he returned for a brief visit to Ohio and Illinois and was married to Miss Marcella Dart, a native of the State of New York. Returning with his bride at once, he re-engaged in sheep raising in the San Joaquin Valley until in the year 1872, when he met with financial disaster on account of the severe drought of that year. In 1882, the family moved to Santa Maria, and one year later, came to El Monte, where a forty-five acre tract of land was purchased, east of El Monte on Peck Road. Here Mr. Metcalf engaged in general farming and walnut raising until his death, which occurred in 1902. The mother lived until 1921. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin Metcalf; Walter, Emery, Beeda and George, the last two named being twins, all of whom are living at this time. George Metcalf, the subject of this sketch, came to El Monte with his parents in 1883, being but six years of age. He was educated in the El Monte Schools, and later completed a business course in Los Angeles. Until his majority, he assisted his father on the home ranch. In about 1899,he rented a tract of land from E.J. Baldwin and engaged in farming for a few years, later buying eighteen acres adjoining his father’s ranch on Peck Road, which he set to walnuts. In 1904, he sold this tract and purchased a twenty-one acre tract where he now resides, two miles south of El Monte on Lexington and Gallatin Road. Here he has successfully engaged in farming, dairying and walnut raising. In 1904, he married Muriel Anderson, of Canadian Parentage. Mr. Metcalf died in 1933. To this union were born three daughters, Margaret, (Mrs. Byron Cooney) of El Monte, Edith, who lives with her father on the home ranch, and Dorothy, (Mrs. Lee Howard) of El Monte. Mr. Metcalf is affiliated with the M.W.A. and I.O.O.F. Lodges, and is a member of the Presbyterian church. He is a Democrat with liberal tendencies. He served for twelve years as a Trustee of Temple Grammar School, and for three terms as a Trustee of the El Monte High School. He is at present (1936) a member of the El Monte High School Board. Mr. Metcalf’s twin sister lives in Glendale with his bachelor brother, Walter. The other brother, Emery, a well drilling contractor lives in Puente.
Source: C. D. Mayon, F. Brow, L. Stoddard, and C. Mudd; El Monte from the Pioneer Days. WPA Project No. N-5740, 1936. In record 19-187072. (California Historical Landmark No. 765: El Monte). On file at the SCCIC, CSU Fullerton.