Surprise Valley Record for March 1922

Surprise Valley Record, Cedarville, Modoc County, California, March 1922

Wednesday, March 1, 1922

Meets Tragic Death Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Russell, of this place, received telegrams from Annapolis Monday conveying the sad news their son, John had fallen from the top of an elevator and was crushed to death, but no details were given. John was appointed a cadet to West Point Military Academy last fall and had just finished his examinations and gave promise of a bright future. He will be remembered as a bright, clean boy of excellent habits making friends with all with whom he came in contact, and his tragic death at the age of nineteen years, just as he was entering upon the threshold of manhood, was a sad blow and shocked not only his grief stricken parents and sisters and brother, but the entire community. We understand that his remains will be brought back to Modoc and probably be interred in the cemetery at his old home in Adin. Word fail to express the sympathy that is felt for the sadly bereaved family in their irreparable loss.

Mrs. Ray Hill is reported on the sick list this week.

Born – In Cedarville, Cal., February 27, 1922, to the wife of Grover Jackson, a 12-lb. daughter.

Jesse Rice is now taking the census of the Cedarville precinct for the purpose of ascertaining the number of people in it.

G. J. Wentzell and wife returned last week from an extended trip to Los Angeles, where they visited relatives. They report having a pleasant visit.

Note that the Free Area has been adopted, why not organize a Dairymen’s’ Association and work together for the good of a common cause. Other counties profit by it. Why not Modoc? (Modoc was declared tuberculosis free by the State Veterinarian, Dr. LaRue)

R. R. Anderson, of the Plumas Bulletin and Miss Zorina Walker, of Alturas, were married at the latter place some days ago. We wish the newly married people a pleasant voyage over the sea of life.

Mrs. Gussie Shirk and Miss Ida Heard, teachers of the Grammar School are confined to their homes by illness and many of the pupils of both the High and Grammar schools are afflicted with a form of the flu.

Death Of Estimable Lady
Last Friday evening another one of the old pioneer residents of this valley passed over the “Great Divide” when the Grim Reaper claimed his own in the death of Mrs. Laura Baty, beloved wife of J. R. Baty, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm D. Hill, in Alturas. She was 67 years old and her death was caused by paralysis. She and her husband lived for years at Fort Bidwell, where the deceased was known as a most estimable woman, a loving mother and a faithful wife. Besides an aged and sorrowing husband, she leaves ten children, Mrs. Lillie McGowan, Mrs. Maude Pardue, Mrs. Ethel Hughes, Mrs. Florence Watson, Mrs. Georgie Hill, Mrs. Nellie Skillman, Mrs. Elfreda Wylie, Mrs. Susie Peterson, Thomas and Carrol Baty, to who sincere sympathy of their many friends is extended. Her remains were brought to Fort Bidwell last Saturday and will be interred in the cemetery there tomorrow.

Wednesday, March 8, 1922

It is reported that Caesar Price, who was committed tot he Stockton Insane Asylum from this valley, had escaped from the asylum and at last account had not been captured.

John Erramouspe of the Eagleville section was pleasant visitor to the Record office last Monday. He reports condition of his sheep fine and the lambing progressing nicely, despite the unfavorable weather conditions.

G. A. Head came in from Massacre Lake yesterday, where he has been working on a tunnel that will throw the waters of the three lakes into one, thus furnishing water to irrigate a large area of land. The tunnel is to be thirteen hundred feet long, nine hundred feet of which is already completed. The work is being done on the property of Captain Johnston and will be pushed forward as rapidly as possible.

While rendering lard the other day, Mrs. Henry Harrington opened the oven door and the flames from the burning lard burst out, burning her and one of the little boys badly, but not seriously. Mr. Harrington promptly closed the oven door, averting further injury by the flames, although several things in the room were set on fire. His prompt action probably saved the building.

It doesn’t take much of a stretch of imagination to make one think he is out in the woods these mornings when he hears the calling of the valley quail at Mrs. T. H. Johnstone’s residence. A large band of quail came to her place last fall and she has fed the birds every since and they are becoming very tame, and we imagine that the man who goes gunning for these quail would get himself into a mighty bad pickle.

We understand that there is some anxiety felt regarding the where abouts of Ernest Murphy of Eagleville. He left there about two weeks ago to go to his ranch east of here, with the intention of returning at once, since which time nothing has been heard from him and it is feared that he may have lost his way in the heavy storms.

Mrs. John C. Sharp and Mrs. Grant Adams are both suffering with the flu this week.

Everett Wilson has quit the blacksmith business and accepted a job on Captain Johnston’s ranch at Massacre Lake.

The Adin Argus of last week reports the death of Thomas J. Nelson, one of the pioneer residents of that place.

Zetus Spalding came in from Guano last week and reports the snow pretty deep out that way, and in some places drifted over the top of the fences.

We understand that Vernie DeLashmutt otherwise known here as “Boob McNutt” was released from the Stockton Asylum some days ago and he may be rolling in here about the time that the grass gets green.

Henry Ford says that sufficient alcohol can be obtained from one acre of potatoes to plow an acre of ground for one hundred years. Yep, that may be so, but it’s dollars to doughnuts that the alcohol obtained from the spuds would never be used for plowing purposes, not at this stage of the game.

The remains of John Russell, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Russell, who was crushed to death in an elevator at Annapolis some days ago, is expected to arrive here Friday and in the interment will take place in the Cedarville cemetery Saturday afternoon.

Now that the flu is again epidemic, it might be a wise measure to have fewer gatherings and social entertainment’s until the disease has spent its force. This is good weather for the aftermath of the flu – pneumonia – and one can not be too careful.

Jack Hayes, of this place, last week received a letter from Gardnerville, stating that Norman Winder, while out with a posse hunting for a man that had been lost in the snow, had his leg badly frozen that it had to be amputated. All the other men out were more or less frozen. Norman Winder was well known here and his many friends deeply regret to hear of his misfortune.

Wednesday, March 15, 1922

Mrs. Ethel Hughes and Mrs. R. D. Watson, of Oregon, are here visiting their aunt, Mrs. W. T. Strief.

Funeral Of John H. Russell
The body of John H. Russell, who met such an untimely and unfortunate death at the Naval Academy Dairy, at Gambrills Station, on Monday last, was sent tot the home of his parents at Cedarville, California, yesterday afternoon by express.
Prior to the shipment, religious services were held and attended by the scholars and teachers of the school of which the young man had prepared for the Naval Academy. Rev. S. E. Persons, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, which Mr. Russell attended during his stay in Annapolis, conducted the services and spoke feelingly of the high qualities and manly character the boy had shown during his stay in the community. He spoke of his industry, manliness and faithfulness, emphasizing the loss of such a lad to service and to the world at large. He referred to the sorrow felt by all with whom he had become known and especially to the grief of the parents in the loss of such a promising son.

Classmates of the late Mr. Russell acted as pallbearers and his late fellow students accompanied the remains to the train for shipment. This happening is particularly sad since the boy had come so far from home to make ready to enter the Naval Academy and had made such faithful effort to succeed. He took the entrance examinations on February 15, and at once secured employment to maintain himself, during the time intervening between the examinations and the announcement of results. Although the outcome of the examinations will not be made until about March 10, it is reported that Mr. Russell had passed his examinations among the highest. It is particularly sad that he should have met his death without knowing that the faithful work he did resulted in the success of the undertaking, which he came so far to accomplish.

Annapolis Gazette
The remains of John H. Russell arrived here last Saturday afternoon and on Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, the funeral was held from the M. E. Church, Rev. Beach conducting the services in an impressive and touching manner. The Church was filled with sorrowing friends of the bereaved family, who had come to pay their last tribute of affection for the departed.

The pallbearers were young men of neat the deceased’s age as follows: James Hawkins, Wm Hays, Laurin Adams, George Benner, Raymond Groves and Clifton Slinkard. The Choir, composed of Misses Dorothy Miller, Odessa Strief, Barbara Bush, and Thelma Strotts, Messrs. Joe Dollarhide, Alva Adams and Russell Taylor, Mrs. Leon B. Lewis presiding at the organ, rendered beautiful and appropriate music.

The floral offerings from Adin friends, and from Annapolis, were numerous and most beautiful, and testified eloquently to the love bestowed upon the deceased. John H. Russell was born in Mellville, Sweet Grass County, Montana, January 24, 1903. He came from Ohio to Big Valley, Cal., in February 1911, residing there with his parents. In September 1921, he went to Annapolis Naval Preparatory School. He died February 27, 1922, at the naval Academy Dairy, Gambrills, Maryland.

Born – In Cedarville, Cal., March 12, 1922, to the wife of Leslie Addington, a son (a daughter).
Born – Near Cedarville, Cal., March 9th, 1922, to the wife of George Hanks, a son

Wm Conner, of the Traveler’s Home Hotel, is confined to his bed with an attack of the flu this week.

Mr. and Mrs. John Ganes, son-in-law and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Wood arrived here from Reno yesterday on a visit.

Three Indians have died at the camp during the past three weeks, from the flu and pneumonia, which is now going the rounds.

Mrs. Catherine Terry left last Thursday for Lakeview, where she has accepted a position as linotype operator on the Lakeview Examiner.

Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Hays left last Saturday for the lower country, where it is expected that Mrs. Hays will undergo an operation for appendicitis.

Jake Rechsteiner returned from Sacramento last Saturday, where he accompanied Chas Carter, who went down to have a surgical operation performed.

O. Ratcliffe, of Lake City suffered a slight stroke of paralysis one day last week, and for a time he was in a critical condition, but is now getting along as well a s could be expected.

We understand that the flu epidemic has reached the apex and is now on the wane. The disease has confined itself largely to children, although several adults have been quite ill with it, but none of the cases have proved fatal.

J. D. Watson, of Lake City, was appointed a State Water Right Surveyor for Nevada by J. G. Schrugham, State Engineer. Mr. Watson passed an examination and presented blue prints of his work, which were pronounced entirely satisfactory and his appointment filled which is an endorsement of Mr. Watson’s efficiency as a surveyor.

All those who have not obtained an automobile license are in hard luck as the time for getting them expired on the 4th of March. The Superintendent of the State Motor Vehicle Department says that jail sentences will be given all those driving automobiles without licenses, and also an additional 25 percent of fee will be imposed on all delinquents.

It seems that there has been a pretty rotten bunch around Bly, Oregon and a couple of lynching parties have been organized, with the result that one Art Hamaker was shot last week but not seriously hurt.

Wednesday, March 29, 1922

The Reaper
Last Sunday morning Joel C. Allen, another one of the old pioneer settlers of Surprise Valley, passed over to the Great Beyond. For the past several years Mr. Allen had been an uncomplaining sufferer from Bright’s disease, which culminated in his death last Sunday morning and on Monday afternoon his remains were interred in the Eagleville cemetery, the funeral services being conducted under the auspices of the Surprise Valley Lodge No. 235, F. & A. M., of which he was an esteemed member, assisted by Rev. E. E. Beach, pastor of the Cedarville Methodist Episcopal Church, and the funeral was largely attended by sorrowing relatives and friends. Joel Crawford Allen was born in Gentry County, Missouri, July 5, 1853, and crossed the plains in 1857 and resided at Knight’s Landing until 1871, when he came to Surprise valley where he has since resided. He leaves to mourn his loss four sons, J. W., Joel, Sylvester and Grover Allen, to whom the sympathy of the community is extended in their sad bereavement. Mr. Allen was highly esteemed by all, and was a man of the old-time genuine hospitality whose latch string was always outside of the door, and he will always be remembered as a good neighbor and stanch friend.

A report reached here yesterday that of the death of Mrs. Gloster at Alturas, formerly a resident of Eagleville. She was one of the early pioneer residents of Surprise Valley and her many friends here deeply regret to heat of her death. She leaves four sons, Maurice, Daniel, Thomas and Joseph and three daughters, Catherine and Dorothy Gloster of Alturas and Mrs. Julia Johns of Lakeview, to whom is extended the sympathy of their many friends.

The New Era reports the presence of thousands of wild duck, geese, swans, snipes and cranes over there. No mention of chickens made.

Married – In Cedarville, Cal., March 23, 1922, Miss Gertie Vernon, of this place, to Samuel Dunn, of Warner Valley, Judge Hayes officiating.

L. N. Pabst, of the Pabst Pharmacy, has been confined to his bed during the past week with an attack of pneumonia, an aftermath the flu. Mrs. Pabst is also ill. During their illness Alan McCulley and Dr. Thos. Meredith have been conducting the pharmacy.

Claude Monchamp and Robert McConnaughy returned from San Francisco Friday, where they have been attending Business College.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top