A pioneer of El Monte was Tilghman D. Andrew, whose life was spent in varied ways ranging from soldier and Indian fighter in Arizona, to saw mill operator in many parts of Southern California.
Born in 1846, in Easton, Maryland, he was the son of Richard and Rebecca (Camper) Andrew, farmers and natives of Maryland. An authorized genealogy of the family, shows that their ancestors came to Maryland from England with Lord Baltimore, settling and continuing to live in the same vicinity of Maryland.
Tilghman Andrew’s early life was spent at home with his parents in Caroline County where he was educated in the public schools. At the age of nineteen, he enlisted in the Army serving for three years, during which time he was sent with a company of seven hundred to California via Panama. Arriving in California in 1865, he was detailed to Indian Scout duty, engaging in many skirmishes and battles in Arizona. Upon being mustered out of service in 1868, he came to San Bernardino, and became interested in gold mining. This work he followed for a time, later entering the employ of John M. James, operator of a sawmill in Little Bear Valley, (now the Lake Arrowhead area) and who later became his father-in-law. Following a few years in the lumbering with Mr. James, he farmed for several years in the San Bernardino Valley.
In 1880 he came to El Monte and followed farming, later acquiring and settling on a ten-acre tract of land, south of the Mountain View School, which he improved and later set for walnuts. Here he remained active in the management of his property until his death, which occurred in 1911.
On May 1, 1872, Mr. Andrew was wedded to Sarah A. James, a native of California, being the daughter of John M. James, who was a native of Tennessee, coming to California in Captain Johnson’s wagon train in 1852. Mr. James was well known throughout Southern California for his ability in building and operations sawmills.
To Mr. and Mrs. Andrew were born five children all of whom are living at this time: namely Lillie (Mrs. D. Wright) of Pasadena, Charles G. of Wilmar [see the Biography of Charles G. Andrew], Lawrence A., of Huntington Park, A. Clarence, of Shreveport, Louisiana, and Stanley D., of Portland, Oregon. Mrs. Andrew died in 1907.